About Sharman & Son
Our firm was first established in 1852 and has continued as a family practice ever since. Originally based in Liverpool City Centre we moved to our current premises in Blundellsands and Crosby in 1997.
We specialise in many areas of Law including Conveyancing, Wills and Probate, Powers of Attorney, Divorce all types of Personal Injury including road traffic accidents and accidents at work, Debt Recovery, Landlord and Tenant and Employment Law.
A member of the Law Society we are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We provide an efficient service without compromising on standards and welcome any opportunity to use our specialist knowledge to help you.
We are CQS accredited – a scheme introduced by the Law Society to ensure high standards in Conveyancing
On the 12th November 1838 Samuel Sharman, who at that time lived in Bedford, signed a five year Articles of Clerkship with his uncle, Alexander Sharman, to start his training to become a solicitor.
Having completed his training Samuel moved to Merseyside, initially living in Rock Ferry, and joined a firm called Eden and Stannistreet. Shortly thereafter he formed a partnership trading as Blundell and Sharman Solicitors with offices in Princes Building, North John Street, Liverpool and moved to Little Crosby where he lived in Virgins Lane.
In 1852 that partnership was dissolved and Samuel set up his own firm. Samuel acted as agent for the Blundells of Crosby and died in 1886. He was buried at St Marys Church in Little Crosby. His gravestone reads ‘He was for many years a valued and trustworthy agent at Crosby Hall and his loss is deeply deplored’.
He was eventually succeeded by his son Hubert Joseph Sharman who practised on his own account as H J Sharman Solicitors in Castle Street Liverpool.
Hubert’s son Maurice Sharman qualified as a solicitor shortly before the second world war started. Maurice joined the artillery and saw service overseas before returning at the end of the war and joining his fathers practice. The firms title was changed to Sharman and Son. Sadly they were only in partnership for a few years before Hubert died in May 1949.
Maurice continued practising on his own until he was joined by his son Michael Sharman who qualified in 1974 and the practice moved to Century Buildings in North John Street, Liverpool.
Maurice and Michael continued to practice under the name Sharman and Son until Maurice’s retirement in the 1980’s. The firm continued under the same name and moved from North John Street to its present location in Coronation Road Crosby in 1997.
In 2002 Michael welcomed his son Peter Sharman into the practice. Michael is now enjoying semi-retirement.
In 2018 Mark Burnet joined the practice becoming a partner and heading up our Wills/Probate department.
Our firms long history stretching back in a direct father/son line for generations makes us one of the oldest family practices in Merseyside.
In addition to the three partners, we employ a team of five staff in our Crosby offices, a mixture of licensed residential and commercial conveyancers and legal support staff.